This was a fun recipe I got to try while Boy was out of town so I only had to cook once for the week! And I got to use my pretty baking dishes! This recipe is from myrecipes.com http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/butternut-squash-parmesan-bread-pudding-10000000701119/ . I really enjoyed adding a little fresh sage from the garden though I found processing the squash to be s little more time consuming than I expected.
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1/2 tsp salt divided
- cooking spray for the pan
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 cups 1% milk ( I used 2%)
- 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan ( I subbed the green can terrible I know but cheaper!)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 8oz cubed stale french bread or about 9 cups
- Arrange squash on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray sprinkle lightly with 1/4 tsp salt and roast at 400F for 12 minutes or until tender. When you take this out of the oven lower the oven temperature to 350F.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes or until it softens, add the garlic and saute for one more minute. Remove from heat. Allow to cool while you prep the next step.
- Combine in a large bowl, remaining 1/4 tsp salt, milk 1/2 cup cheese, pepper, nutmeg, eggs, and egg whites in a large bowl stirring with a whisk. Stir in squash and onion mixture. Add bread and stir lightly to combine. Let soak for 10 minutes, then place in a 2 quart baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until lightly browned.