Search This Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

Pioneer Woman's Nantucket Cranberry Pie

When I saw this recipe on Pioneer Woman's website I knew I had to make it, after all I had all the ingredients but cranberries and those are actually in season right now. So I of course darted off to the store to stock up on cranberries, the rest sit in my freezer awaiting my next urge to make a cranberry recipe. And I nearly forgot to take a picture for blogging so this is the only picture I have, of the last tasty piece. We had a birthday party to go to so I had an instant excuse to bake!
This cake, pie or cobbler, doesn't fit nicely into my normal categories for dessert, and so it might as well be called a pie. It was amazing so what does it matter what you call it? Easy to make, delicious and definitely fattening! But that's ok because we aren't going to eat it every day right? I did mess with this recipe just a little, I used the stevia equivalent for 1/3 of a cup of sugar to replace some of the sugar, because nearly two cups in one cake was a little too much for me. I think if you wanted you could probably substitute another sweetener for up to half of the sugar in this but that is of course up to your preferences.


Nantucket Cranberry Pie Recipe:
Ingredients:
  • Butter, For Greasing
  • 2 cups (heaping) Cranberries
  • ¾ cups Pecans, Chopped (measure, Then Chop)
  • ⅔ cups Sugar
  • 1 cup Flour
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 1 stick Unsalted Butter, melted
  • 2 whole Eggs, Lightly Beaten
  • 1 teaspoon Pure Almond Extract
  • ¼ teaspoons Salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Sugar For Sprinkling
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Generously butter the bottom and sides of a cake or pie pan, you don't want the sticky fruit and sugar stuck to the bottom of your pan!
  2. Add the cranberries directly to the bottom of the pan, sprinkle on the chopped pecans and then the first 2/3 cup of sugar.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients from the flour through the salt. Stir these gently to combine.
  4. Pour gently to evenly get the batter over the top of the fruit mixture, spread the batter if you have to but it works best if you don't have to spread too much.
  5. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Five minutes before taking it out of the oven sprinkle on the last tablespoon of sugar. Don't skip that tablespoon it makes it crunchy, sparkly and festive!
  6. Serve with vanilla ice cream for oohs and aahs!

No comments:

Post a Comment