All of the rich dark color of this cake is from the molasses, and if you don't like the taste of molasses I should warn you that you probably will not like this cake. I pretty much left this recipe as is, just substituting about a quarter of the flour for whole wheat and since I was out of powdered sugar I used powdered stevia to garnish the top of this. This is delicious served with either powdered sugar or whipped cream on top.
|Fresh out of the oven!|
|Silver watches us cook|
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt (I used normal table salt because it's what I had)
- 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsulphered molasses
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons milk (divided)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, barely melted
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries, frozen
- 1 teaspoon flour
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl sift to combine the first four dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl whisk together the cider vinegar and 3 Tbsp of milk, in another small bowl whisk molasses with 2 Tbsp milk, then combine these two mixtures. Whisk in the eggs.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, stir briefly and gently to just barely combine. Stir in the butter. Toss the blueberries with 1 tsp of flour and stir into the batter.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool a few minutes and serve!