Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Years Resolutions and Blueberry Molasses Cake

So wow! I haven't posted in forever! Sorry while I have been thinking about blogging I haven't been very good at sitting down and assembling the posts lately. So in 2011, which seems really strange to type still, one of my resolutions is to blog more consistently and to get off on the right foot here is a tasty cake! This was made from a recipe I found on 101 Cookbooks for Old Fashioned Blueberry Cake, this wasn't the first time I had made the cake. I really enjoy having something sweet for breakfast and this is not too sweet and feels sort of healthy as a dessert, at least to me.
All of the rich dark color of this cake is from the molasses, and if you don't like the taste of molasses I should warn you that you probably will not like this cake. I pretty much left this recipe as is, just substituting about a quarter of the flour for whole wheat and since I was out of powdered sugar I used powdered stevia to garnish the top of this. This is delicious served with either powdered sugar or whipped cream on top.

Fresh out of the oven!
And of course this little guy supervised the kitchen!

Silver watches us cook
Old Fashioned Blueberry Cake Recipe
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt  (I used normal table salt because it's what I had)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup unsulphered molasses
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 5 tablespoons milk (divided)
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, barely melted
  • 1 1/2 cups blueberries, frozen
  • 1 teaspoon flour
Instructions:
  1.  Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
  2. In a large bowl sift to combine the first four dry ingredients.
  3. In a small bowl whisk together the cider vinegar and 3 Tbsp of milk, in another small bowl whisk molasses with 2 Tbsp milk, then combine these two mixtures. Whisk in the eggs.
  4. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, stir briefly and gently to just barely combine. Stir in the butter. Toss the blueberries with 1 tsp of flour and stir into the batter.
  5. Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
  6. Allow to cool a few minutes and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment